Saturday 22 June 2013

After the excitements of midsummer!

Yes, swedes are crazy when it comes to midsummer celebration. But that's just the way we are! It's one of the most important traditions of the year! Well, for me Christmas and Easter are the most important one, but seldom the most fun ones! For me midsummer is definitely beating New Years! (No offence to the people that I've celebrated New Years with the last couple of years, I promise it was nice!) 

This year I was visiting a friend that recently moved to a house in the near of Gothenburg. Wow... The place, the food, the guests!! My God, did we eat?!? Yes, I think I definitely gained some weight... It felt like I ate a whole cow and a couple of herrings within a few minutes. (For real, I didn't) 

For you non swedes out there, midsummers is an old Heiden tradition. We dance around a maypole and celebrate summer and fertility. Nowadays it's more of an excuse to throw a really good party! But we do all the things with dancing and making wreaths and stuff.


But do let me tell you about the food that we ate! There were all kinds of herrings, and even the loveliest herring cake!  (Yes, it was delicious!! And yes you can eat a cake like that, made of herrings) wow.. Then a few hours later we did some BBQ it was fantastic too, but I don't think we were that hungry... However we ate! And after that we ad some sweet stuff, it's as obligatory as eating herring to have strawberries and ice cream served on this special day. I'm still full... And quite tired! Between the herring and the BBQ we plaid some version if pictionary.   

Now it's time for bed... Can't believe it but the neighbour is having a party today as well... Swedes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment