Friday 7 March 2014

My way through the crisis curve

I'm teaching change management. I should be good in recognising the step you take in regards to change. I also know that the phases you go through in a change are the same phases you go through when facing a crisis. I'm teaching managers that they should be aware of that every time they are faced with a change they should take themselves through the step or get help to go through the curve before implementing the change to their coworkers. 

Here I am, in my sofa. Just now realising which steps I've already taken. The curve that I'm working with has a few more steps than the most common ones if I google. Bit hey! I can add some steps of my own. 

The common steps seems to be: chock, denial, anger, depression, acceptance and then processing. 

When my phone called yesterday, I answered. The message I got pushed me directly into chock and I got paralysed for more than one hour. My brain was somehow working without the rest of the body realising. It took me to the IKEA store where I bought candy and pancakes. Then it took me home. It was passed lunchtime by then. So I are candy, it helped. I warmed 4 pancakes and are them too. That also helped.

After what I would like to refer to as "the pancake phase" I switched to anger. There I stayed for a while before just falling asleep in the couch. Not in a very comfortable position. But I didn't care. 

When I woke up I was in depression. For sure. Just laying there, still in a uncomfortable position. Thank God I had booked an evening together with friends. That forced me out of my self pity and into action. "Operation evening makeover" it was a nice evening. A bit much to drink, and quite some eating as well. 
 
Today I woke up early. To a blue sky and a shining sun. It's a beautiful day. Life is anyway not fair. But today I know that we will manage. We will get through this as well. I'm in acceptance. Starting the processing (and eat more pancakes) 

My man message: FUCK CANCER!!!

(...And add the pancake step to the crisis curve)



No comments:

Post a Comment